A single deck version of the LT was introduced by
the LGOC in 1931, and a total of 199 were built. They replaced the single deck K and S
types and the London Public Dennis vehicles. Two more similar buses were built in 1932 for
the London General Country Services. The chassis' were the long wheelbase AEC Renown
allowing the bodies to be built to the maximum permitted length of 30ft. Mechanically,
they were similar to the double deck LTs, but with a smaller 6.1 litre AEC petrol engine
as used in the ST class.
The last 76 and the two LGCS
buses had rear roof destination boxes and the others carried a board at the bottom of the
window in the rear emergency door. They had 35 seats with eleven forward-facing doubles
and two longitudinal seats over the double rear wheelarches.
Eleven of the class were
destroyed by enemy action in the Second World War but, otherwise, they remained intact
until the arrival of the Mann Egerton TDs, in 1948, when some were withdrawn.
Many were rebuilt by Marshalls
of Cambridge, to enable them to remain in service until they could be replaced in the
early-1950s, by RFs. These could be distinguished from the others by the lack of deep side
mouldings and by carrying the post-war all-over red livery.
Fleet Nos. were:
- LT1001-1124 (GHXXXX, GOXXXX, GNXXXX) with no
rear destination boxes.
- LT1125-1201 (GPXXXX, GTXXXX) with rear
- LT1427/8 (GX5337/8) LGCS.
Reference Source: London Bus
File 1933-39 and 1946-9 by Ken Glazier, published by Capital Transport. This publication
is recommended for further details.
The class acquired the
nickname 'Scooter' and two kits have been produced to represent both the original body and
this Marshall rebuild.
Please check availability of
the kit before ordering.